Thursday, November 02, 2006

Кыргызкий, Русский, and more Кыргызкий!!

I apologize for the cyrilic in the titles. Access to crazy keyboards, it turns out is my week spot.

My Visa card came early this time! The Fed Ex man was staring confounded at our office door when I sauntered up to him. Smoothly, I yelled "Fed Ex!?!!" With a Russian-English-Russian accent. My financial independence is once again restored by the wonderful odious system of accumulating debt. All Hail Capitalism!

I no longer have interesting and esoteric things to say because I am now a "busy guy." I again walk very fast by default and look down to make sure I don't trip and lose inertia. I still read a little everyday though, keeps out the riff-raff.

So far Kyrgyz has been interesting. Each value has a partener for life and everywork is to contain only those vowels. 'А' Cheats on 'Ы' however with 'У' who is all too rarely seen happily at home with 'O.' They added some extra vowels and a consonant for fun too. But they are not fun to try and say. Actually, I don't know why they added them at all. As if Russian hadn't done its part with a contribution of eight.

My attempts at do-gooding have produced lackluster results for myself. I am trying to teach english, but the bazaar kids do not show up (hopefully there is not a crisis). So it is just me and one pupil. For some reason she has the power to melt all of my language skills with the raise of a quizical eye-brow. It was really getting to me, all that failure. So I shaved it off.

We are working on prepositions and the future tense. If anyone knows what to do next, let me know. The knowledgeable guy is in Tajikistan and he left only me the inadequate reassurance of consolation, 'There, there. Don't worry.' His flight back was cancelled and now I am worried.

The climbing class was the peak of the anti-climax. We got there an hour late thanks in large part to my misunderstanding the directions I received long ago. The children were gone/unavailable. But now I know. This weekend "we" are taking the kids to a waterfall or something. I think I need to get a cell-phone so that I can find out who the other part of "we" is and make contact.

There is a demonstration today now so I have to go home before it gets dark and my host mother panics. As you can see, she does a wonderful job of host mothering. She tells me constantly not to do things. Like the good son that I am, I always nod my head and understand. All parties are pleased by this arrangement.

Saturday Night Is Hockey Night in Canada.

No comments: