Monday, September 15, 2008

Arrival and Computer Issues

So I had hoped to post an actual entry today, but instead I'll have to make it quick. My computer is broken and so until I get that figured out I am more likely to have little time for online entries... the small amount of editing I do is not so fun to do at internet cafes. I learned something interesting though from the computer breakdown: HP pavillions are illegal to sell in the post-Soviet sphere, so if there is motherboard damage, I will have the honor of searching for a laptop in Kyrgyzstan.

Second thing, I set up a secon blog for the more bazaar oriented stuff... I am not exactly sure how the division will go, I am going to feel it out but I figure that some professors will have little interest in how I am doing and that certain friends and family may not be especially inquisitive about the formative stages of the research. I will put a link here once I actually make an entry.

I got to go to the mountains yesterday and other than that I've been catching up with friends, visiting folks, making appointments, getting little lost and most of all getting back into the Kyrgyz-Russian jive.

I was a bit anxious about coming back but once I arrived it felt great to be here. I hope that the sensation lasts. I think it will. This adjustment has so far been much easier than the first time I came here. Having a base-line of language skill, people to call friends and a basic knowledge of the city make for a lot less stress and isolation. Hopefully this will endure beyond the honeymoon period. The upcoming trip to the hinterlands where I will be forced to use my Kyrgyz will probably do much to put me back in my place.

No comments: