Thursday, September 14, 2006

Czech Please!

So I forgot to post this before I left... sorry. I'm about to leave for the points East. I'll fly into Prague by this time tomorrow morning. From there I intend to wander East and South, through Hungary, Slovakia Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Bulgaria and back to the Czech Republic. That is the outline. I have no plans set in stone though so it will likely turn out quite differently. I will leave Europe on the 22nd of October for Kyrgyzstan. I'll be there until the first week of april.

I feel like I'm leaving more than a couple of loose ends here in the states, but I think that it's okay. It would be impossible not to leave a lot of precious people and great opportunities in the states. So I'll cast off anyway and do my best to keep a good number of relationships going long distance.

I found a passage from Ulysses at the house I was working on.

"I cannot rest from travel; I will drink life to the lees. All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone; on shore, and when through scuddling drifts the rainy Hyades vexed the dim sea... I am a part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch where through gleams that untraveled world whose margins fades forever and forever when I move. How dull it is to pause, to make an end, to rest unburnished, not to shine in use! As though to breathe were life! Life piled on life were all too little, and of one to me little remains. But every hour is saved from that eternal silence, something more, a bringer of new things; and vile it were for some three suns to store and hoard myself, and this gray spirit yearning in desire to follow knowledge like a sinking star beyong the utmost bound of human thought."


I get a little mixed up aroung the three suns part but you get the idea: "travel is great."

For diversity of thought, experience and perspective I can imagine no better measure than the languages one knows.

Time to pick up a couple.

No comments: