Sunday, September 03, 2006

People Taste Better When Allowed to Breath



The past few days have been full. Working roofing during the day and seeing friends at night. I know that I won't get to see anyone for a long time soon, so it is hard to justify missing any opportunity to spend time with close friends while I still can. It would be untruthful to say that I have been "busy." Evenings at Twins games, cooking pizza and catching up are hardly stressful activities. But even as I relished every moment, something felt out of place. I hadn't had digested any of it. I have gotten into the habit of reflecting and digesting most every bit of my life this summer (thus the web log) and after only a few days in the city routine I had fallen into the habit of consummate activity. Reflection is not a matter of being alone or with others. I learn a lot from pondering and writing by myself as well as having intimate flowing conversations with others. Proper reflection is only a matter of removing the restrictions of time and focus to let things go where they may.

After breakfast this morning, I sat outside with five friends. None of us had anywhere to be or anything we needed to do for the next few hours. We simply listened and talked in turn... Steve and I doing our fair share of the latter. The conversation just rolled from one subject to another. It twisted and turned from Jesus to quantum mechanics to favorite trail foods.

Coming away from it, there was a sense of deep satisfaction. Appreciation breeds satisfaction as one comes to see new beauty in something that has always been there. It gives life another welcome bit of inherent worth. I appreciated my friends as persons of remarkable depth after sitting for three hours and allowing the conversation to go from the profane to the profound and around again. Too often we are so occupied that every moment of life needs to be well used. But instead utilizing every moment to its fullest such occupation eventually reduces life to a script.

The best comedy is typically born of improv.

Like a good wine, life needs air.

No comments: