Saturday, December 09, 2006

I met a guy who taught himself English "in his room." Then he worked at the US embassy for a spell. now he goes to the American University. He speaks really well. He called me today and we went for a walk. Apparently, he has relationship troubles. I think this juxtaposes the US University experience pretty remarkably. He had been dating the girl for a month and received no kiss. Last night she declared that she wanted to see him drunk. Then she kissed him. He thought that was not the best time for a first kiss "if she was interested in building a serious relationship." I enquired as to why she wanted to see him drunk. He said she said (sweeeeet) that men tell the truth, what is truly in their hearts when they are drunk. Presumably she remained sober, like a proper young Russian lady. Then they 'had quarrels.' This was in the city center. She asked how he would get home. He would walk. He walked the five kilometers home. Today he was miffed that she did not call to make sure he arrived okay. Also, he does not like that she has only called him twice in the entire time of their dating. BUT he really likes her. He asked me what I would do if I were him. He was torn about calling her or not.

I thought that was pretty funny. I said that I didn't now the nuances of the relationship. Okay, I can't say that. I actually said "I don't know exactly how your... (how do I say relationship?) relationship is. All of the preconditions to his situation were almost unbelievable. We talked the situation over for a while, the gyst of my advice being, call her if you want to call her, don't play games, just ask her what is going on and tell her how you feel. He remained torn about calling her but told that he was surprised to find himself talking to an American about such things. I thought that he meant it in the way that it can be odd the sorts of things you will reveal to a stranger at the bus station or that most American's wouldn't have understood his Russian, or that he doen't talk to many Americans now. But he explained that all the Americans he had met in Bishkek had been missionaries. Confronted with similar situations, they had advised him to follow the Lord, read the bible at least two hours a day and get married before you smooch.

Here I thought I was dealing with some strange conservative Russian relationship posturing and he was suprised to find me not overwhelmed by the scandal of it all.

It was then that I knew I wanted to be a firefighter when I grew up.

I like that about traveling, Ilearn at least as much about where I am from (and the assumptions I hold thereof) as I do about where I travelled too.

No comments: